Power Variability: Fixed
Objective Diameter: 50 mm
Close Focus Distance: 10 feet
Dimensions: 6.8 x 5.1 inches
Weight: 28.7 ounces
Field of View: 285 feet/1000 yards
Eye Relief/Exit Pupil: 15.5 mm/4.2 mm
Optics Coatings: Fully Multi-Coated
Prism System: Roof
Focus System: Center
Eye cups: Twist up
Tripod adaptable: Yes
Best Uses: Hunting, For the Range, Birdwatching, Wildlife Observation
Vortex Razor HD Binoculars
This Vortex Razor HD 12X50 has every lens and coating feature starting with the APO system, Plasma Tech, and XRPlus Fully Multi-Coated lenses.
It also sports the true open hinge design on a lightweight magnesium chassis with a locking diopter and multi-setting adjustable twist up eyecups. Now, that was a mouthful!
Considering that it is one of the most expensive binoculars in the entire Vortex selection, it has an excellent amount of fans. And, those fans rated it well with a near perfect rating. At approximately $1300, you should expect to see this kind of rating that's synonymous with quality.
But, if you're hung up on what APO, Plasma Tech, and what the open hinge design is, then follow me - I'll take you right to the pros, cons and Q&A.
- Excellent quality glass
- Excellent coating quality
- Tripod adaptable
- Fully weatherproof
- Open hinge design
Razor HD 12X50 Binocular Q&A:
What is the APO system?
This is what you would call "camera technology" put into a binocular. It's just ingenious. And, while Vortex is on this integrative path of innovating technology, they didn't just go with achromat lenses.
Vortex went all out with apochromatic (APO) lenses.
APO optical systems are going to eliminate chromatic aberrations to get rid of any distortion and color fringing while you glass.
While APO is subjective to many manufacturers, you still need to take into account all of the other factors that provide you with excellent glassing experiences.
The optical system of this Razor is unmatched when it comes to image sharpness and color fidelity.
With phase correction coatings, HD elements, ED glass, and XRPlus fully multi-coated lenses, this is a recipe for unsurpassed quality that you can only get from a high-end optic from a high-end brand.
- 12x magnification and 50mm objectives lenses, the Razor HD features hand selected prisms and premium high density glass, delivering unparalled resolution and color,...
- State of the art anti-reflective coatings with cutting edge plasma tech application guarantee the highest level of brightness during critical low light periods.
What is XRPlus Fully Multi-Coated lenses?
This is your XR Fully Multi-Coated coatings.
If you're looking for maximum light transmission, zero glare, and zero reflections, then the XRPlus is supposed to give it.
When you combine XRPlus with dielectric mirror coatings, your binocular is going to be an image enhancing winner.
What is Plasma Tech?
I tried to get a straight answer from Vortex to see if I could appropriately define this precocious-sounding technology. But alas, time zones came into play.
But, from what we already know, Plasma Tech is the element that gives the lens coatings their high-performing and durable qualities that's done with the most advanced and forefront application processes.
It seems that Vortex fans have Plasma Tech to thank for the excellent coatings that provide hunters with their exceptional hardness, durability, and optical supremacy.
What is the True Open Hinge design?
If you look at the underside of the Razor HD binocular, you'll see that you have a view of a single exposed hinge instead of two double hinges attached to the sides of the barrels.
This one hinge allows for a single, thicker bridge. This is the open hinge design.
The hinge and bridge combo are also set closer towards the rear (the eyepiece end) of the binocular which allows you to have a more secure grip of the entire binocular.
The ergonomic design lets you slip fingers entirely around the barrel for easier gripping.
While the superior ergonomics have been improved, overall weight has been reduced and build strength has been increased with the magnesium chassis.
There's rarely ever just one feature that doesn't compliment another when it comes to Vortex.
- ArmorTek provides hardness and scratch-resistance for ultimate lens protection and easy cleaning
- XRPlus fully multi-coated lenses provide maximum light transmission for bright, clear images
- New Plasma Tech and APO System for better overall performance
- High Density ED glass provides excellent HD image quality
- Dielectric Prism Coatings and Phase Correction coatings for maximum optical performance from a roof prism binocular
- True Open Hinge design for better ergonomics and comfort
- Magnesium chassis for lighter weight and increased strength and durability
- Large 50 mm objective lenses for low light strength
- Rubber armor body for easy gripping and external protection
- Locking mechanism on the diopter
- Multi-setting twist up eyecups for a true custom fit at any level
- Fully waterproof and fog-proof for ultimate weatherproof-ability
- Backed by Vortex's VIP Unconditional Lifetime Warranty
Our Verdict on the Vortex Razor Binoculars
To glass it up, the Vortex Razor HD 12X50 binoculars are the flagship binocular line for Vortex. They're incredibly superior to other binoculars with these specs. The price is a hefty one, but what would you expect with a binocular that has it all?
You could always just go with the Vortex Vulture HD 15X56 binoculars that's practically half the price. It's definitely heavier than the Razor, but it's still got some premium perks worth checking out. You could also check out some of the other hunting binoculars we have reviewed - we promise there is something there for every budget.
Vortex never does anything half-pie. When they make a product, they go all out. If you want and expect the best, Vortex will aim to please and will even go the extra mile. That's the kind of quality and service your money buys.
- Vortex Fury HD 5000 AB Rangefinding Binoculars Review
- Sig Sauer Kilo 3000 BDX 10x42 Rangefinder Binoculars Review
- Leica Geovid 10x42 3200.COM Rangefinding Binocular Review
- How To Fix Binoculars With Double Vision
- Vortex Fury HD 5000 10x42 Rangefinder Binoculars Review
Simon is an avid outdoor enthusiast and the owner of Target Tamers. He is passionate about bringing you the most up to date, accurate & understandable information on sports optics of all kinds and for all applications. When not glassing the local wildlife, you can find him in the garden with his German Shepherd.